Funding and Fellowships
MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM in collaboration with a number of Research Institutions in West Africa seeks to promote joint collaborative research, training and capacity development of young scientists.
MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM with partners has established the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM West Africa Pump Priming Grants. These grants offer flexible funding of up to £10,000 for 1 year to early career researchers at the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM and any research institution based in West Africa. The aim is to support research work that would lead to joint external funding applications at the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM or the Partner Institution.
The scheme is developed as a co-funding programme where partner institutions are expected to provide co-funding either in kind or cash to support their candidates. Co-funding for MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM staff should be provided by the senior scientists supporting an application. It is designed to support pilot work; projects seeking to develop collaborations and those with specialist training components are also welcome.
The Strategic Objectives of the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM West Africa Research Programme
- To conduct research in Global Health with particular attention to the Regional Research priorities in West Africa in partnership with our West Africa Partners
- To develop and implement joint grant applications with our collaborating institutions
- Establish appropriate staff exchange programmes with partner institutions including secondments, visiting scientists schemes and staff exchanges
- Create resource sharing platforms including but not limited to infrastructure and equipment
- Promote science and the growth of biomedical research through public engagements
- Conduct relevant and appropriate capacity building of researchers and necessary support staff
- Work with partners to collectively further the impact of research output through research practice especially with policy makers
- MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM and partner institution early career researchers (a maximum of 6 years post PhD qualification)
- Staff of MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM or a Research Institution based in West Africa
- Only one application per person is permitted.
- Proposals must be in line with the strategic objectives of the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM West Africa Research Programme.
- Applications must be supported by applicant’s Head of Institution for Partner Institutions and current line manager for MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM staff.
- Applications must cover work at a minimum of two research institutions, one of which should be the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM
- Academic track record of applicant.
- Quality and feasibility of the research project.
- Clarity of plans for onward funding.
- Relevance of the project to the strategic objectives of the MRC West Africa Research Programme of the School.
How to apply
Applicants must complete and submit the below documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th May 2019
- MRC Unit The Gambia AT LSHTM West Africa Pump Priming grants application form; and
- An academic CV provided using the attached CV template.
Queries and Additional information and support
Prospective applicants are encouraged to consult the West Africa Programme coordinator email@example.com for advice, queries and any additional information they may require
Submission Deadline: 10th May 2019