Jump to ↓ Selected Key Publications Research Interests Projects
Nutrition Theme Coordinator and PhD Student
Toby joined the Nutrition Theme at MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM in 2017 as the nutrition theme coordinator and began a PhD (supervised by Dr Matt Silver and Professor Andrew Prentice) investigating how epigenetic changes at the POMC gene may influence weight, adiposity and appetite in children and mothers in The Gambia. He trained in paediatrics and subspecialised in paediatric diabetes and endocrinology working in the UK tertiary centres in Bristol and Cardiff. He coordinated the British Paediatric Surveillance Unit’s study into Type 2 Diabetes in Children whilst a research fellow at NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (Nutrition theme) in Bristol. During his paediatric training, he has worked clinically in New Zealand, Ethiopia and Kenya. He won the 2018 British Society of Paediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology Research and Innovation award to examine how epigenetic changes at the PAX-8 gene influence thyroid function in children in the Gambia. He was recently awarded an MRC Clinical Research Training Fellowship, which is due to commence in April 2019.
Selected Key Publications
- Candler T, Rinn S, Hamilton-Shield J (2018) A practical guide to management of youth-onset type 2 diabetes. Journal of Diabetes Nursing 22 : JDN037
- Candler TP, Mahmoud O, Lynn RM, Majbar AA, Barrett TG, Shield JPH. Treatment adherence and BMI reduction are key predictors of HbA1c 1 year after diagnosis of childhood type 2 diabetes in the United Kingdom. Pediatr Diabetes. 2018;19:1393–1399. https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12761
- Wei C, Candler T, Crowne E, Hamilton-Shield JP. Interval Outcomes of a Lifestyle Weight-Loss Intervention in Early Adolescence. Children (Basel). 2018;5(6):77. Published 2018 Jun 15. doi:10.3390/children5060077
- Wei C, Candler T, Davis N, Elson R, Crabtree N, Stevens M, Crowne E: Bone Mineral Density Corrected for Size in Childhood Leukaemia Survivors Treated with Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Total Body Irradiation. Horm Res Paediatr 2018;89:246-254. doi: 10.1159/000487996
- Candler TP, Mahmoud O, Lynn RM, Majbar AA, Barrett TG, Shield JPH. Continuing rise of Type 2 diabetes incidence in children and young people in the UK. Diabet Med. 2018;35(6):737-744.
- Candler T, Murphy R, Pigott A, et al. Fifteen-minute consultation: Diabulimia and disordered eating in childhood diabetes. Archives of Disease in Childhood - Education and Practice 2018;103:118-123
- Candler T, Mahmoud O, Edge J, Hamilton-Shield J. Hypercholesterolaemia screening in Type 1 diabetes: a difference of opinion. Diabet Med. 2017;34(7):983-986.
- Candler T, Costa S, Heys M, Costello A, Viner RM. Prevalence of thinness in adolescent girls in low- and middle-income countries and associations with wealth, food security, and inequality. J Adolesc Health. 2017;60:447–454. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.11.003
- Heys M, Candler T, Costello A, Manandhar DS, Viner RM. Validity of self-reported versus actual age in Nepali children and young people. Public Health. 2016;137:185-7.
- Candler, T., Gannon, H., and Wachira, J. (2016) Child Protection in a Low‐Resource Setting: Experiences From Paediatric Professionals in Kenya. Child Abuse Rev., 25: 424–432. doi: 10.1002/car.2382.
- Childhood Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes