Training for Medical Laboratory Professionals Held at MRCG Fajara

A weekend training programme was held recently at MRCG Fajara. The aim of the training was to help MRCG Laboratory workers to appreciate ISO15189 and how it can be mainstreamed into routine medical laboratory practice.

The need for up-to-date information on laboratory quality management system plus the fact that many new staff had joined the team of recent necessitated this training. MRCG Clinical Laboratory works to two international standards – Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and ISO 15189. The labs attained the GCLP and ISO15189 accreditations since 2011 and 2015 respectively, and has been able to maintain the accreditations status to date.

The objectives of the training included to provide detailed information about ISO 15189:2012 requirements and its relationship to other available standards; to examine the pre-examination phases of laboratory work and the roles of laboratory professionals in patients preparation and samples management and to emphasise steps for identification and controls of non-conformities.

In order not to interrupt service, the training which would ordinarily require 3 days was compressed to one and a half days and was held on Friday 6th to Saturday 7th October 2017 at Bray Lecture Theatre. A total of 25 staff from Clinical Labs, TB Diagnostic and Biobank attended the training. Facilitators were; Bolarinde Lawal (lead facilitator), Yai Louise Bensouda, Boto Jaiteh, Ida Jallow Manneh, Saffiatou Darboe, Solomon Umukoro and Momodou B Jallow.

clinic

Attendees at the training for Medical Laboratory Professionals

Participants learned new skills that will help them implement the ISO15189 technical requirements. According to Bolarinde Lawal, “This will positively impact laboratory service support for clinical trials, research and patient care. The workshop evaluation showed that 65% of the participants scored the training 5 on a number scale of 1 -5 (1 = lowest, 5 = highest score), while the remaining 35% rated the training 4 on the same number scale. Some of the suggestions made by attendees included having such training regularly and increasing the duration.”

In conclusion Mr Lawal said, “Sincere appreciation must go to the Research Training Department, Communication Department, the Laboratory Management and of course to all the participants for sacrificing their weekend.”